Warning: If you have not seen tonight’s episode, “Do You Believe in Miracles?,” then beware spoilers ahead!
Okay, fine, Carver, you win. Whatever. Great episode. Emotions. I felt things. I may have teared up. You remembered that you wrote Mystery Spot Sam. I'm proud of you and of us for sticking with you. *neverforgetnonconpossession*
The season finale follows the immediate aftermath of Dean’s stabbing of Gadreel. Cas and Sam take Dean to a panic room and go off to help Gadreel who has vanished. They go off to find him and Dean is left in the room, where he invokes Crowley, who confirms Dean’s fears – that he’s becoming something he doesn’t want to be, a killer. The episode then turns to three different storylines. First there is the storyline of Cas/Gadreel teaming up to get into heaven to retrieve and destroy the tablet, which was the seat of Metatron’s power and made him invincible. Second there is the Dean/Crowley/Sam storyline, which focuses on Sam/Dean teaming up to defeat Metatron, after Sam promises to let Dean do what he has to do, “no matter the consequences.” Finally there is the Metatron wanting to be God on earth storyline which is an echo of Castiel’s season 6/7 arc, “Godstiel.”
The episode climaxes when Dean knocks out Sam and goes after Metatron on his own. Simultaneously, Gadreel sacrifices himself to break the prison and let Castiel go, who with Hannah, retrieves and destroys the tablet. The tablet is destroyed at the same moment or about when Metatron has run a blade through Dean, with Sam looking on. The second of three emotional brother scenes focuses on Dean and Sam as Dean dies, his last words being “I’m proud of us.” The final act revolves around Castiel (who thinks Dean is dead) capturing Metatron, imprisoning him, and then committing to getting his grace back or wanting to be an angel again. Meanwhile, Sam is drinking and setting up an echo of AHBL where he plans to call forth Crowley. Crowley visits the dead Dean and monologues about a few more meta observations about how the brothers will always end up doing the same things for each other. At this point he tells a story of Cain’s suicide and we know at this point that Dean is not dead, that he can hear and feel because Crowley tells us this. The final seconds are Dean opening his eyes and they are black.
Personal note: I really liked it and am excited for where they are going next season. I suspect it's gonna be a whopper of an emotional arc. But I still reserve the right to hate Carver. I won't give that up.
1. What do you think will happen now with Demon Dean and HumanSam? What of the brotherhood? (and btw, who didn’t see that coming?)
2. Now that Castiel wants to be an angel but not a leader, what do we think will happen to heaven?
3. What will Sam’s reaction be to the new TeamCagedHell, Crowley and Dean? I'm shipping it. HARD. I'm gonna call it "Moonhowlers". Join me at port. We set sail tomorrow.
4. Will Cain have to come back? Are there now two Cains in the world?
5. Who will be next season’s big bad?
6. How did you feel about the emotional Sam/Dean moments?
7. Who likes Hannah and wants her not to die? (raises hand)
8. WHO DIDN’T CRY? IF YOU DIDN’T CRY YOU ARE SOULLESS. Just saying.
Share your thoughts, feeings, etc. below about tonight’s season finale.