Jensen Ackles joined series stars Karl Urban, Chace Crawford, Jessie T. Usher, Laz Alonso, Karen Fukuhara and creator Eric Kripke for The Boys panel at the SXSW festival in Austin, Texas this weekend. A trailer was dropped, some teasers were shared, and suddenly fans are wondering why isn't June 3rd here yet. Well, they were wondering a bit more than that. Things like 'How the f#$% did Billy Butcher get powers?"
First, here's the trailer. There's a lot of...dancing? Oh, and gory water balloon type explosions of people. The norm. Sera Gamble certainly noticed! Please note, the clip attached comes with a warning from the creators, it is definitely not safe for work!
So many people explode like meat balloons in this trailer that even if didn’t know what the show was, I’d be like: ya know, I bet @therealKripke made this.— Sera Gamble (@serathegamble) March 12, 2022
Yes, that ending reveal of Soldier Boy coming out of 'hibernation' so to speak has caused quite a stir! Hiatus beard for the win!
Here's a nice picture of a photo shoot from EW for the panel. Yes, that's Christian Slater with them. He was the narrator for the recently released animated series The Boys Presents: Diabolical and apparently he's been asked to join season four. He was at the panel as well.
Here's a much better shot of that gorgeous green jacket!
So what did we learn about the panel? Here's some snippets, but it's spoiler lite.
- Kripke said that things will be over the top wild within the first 10 minutes of the premiere. In his words, “It’s one of the craziest things anyone has done within the first 10 minutes of the season. We try not to sweat too much about whether we’re topping ourselves. We’re just trying to dig deeper into the characters. We get into some really interesting stuff.” I'm very curious as to what "dig deeper" means in the Kripke verse. He promised a fan in the Q&A later that the first 10 minutes would be season two's whale scene. I'm stunned! I don't think anything can top that.
- Kripke said the mask will finally come off Black Noir this season. Promise?
- Jensen talked about joining the show and coming in while sporting his full hiatus beard. He was pretty geeked. "Getting into a show that I was already a big fan of was a great opportunity and one I was pretty giddy about. I was geeking out on these guys behind their backs constantly. I don’t want to be the guy that comes in and f***s it all up,”
- Jensen shared the same Herogasm story that he's shared at SPN cons before, talking to a stunned cameraman when he arrived who said he had seen some s&^% today. That never gets old for me.
- Kripke said that they do a lot of CGI because cleaning up all the blood in between takes requires a lot of time. Karl Urban talked about how he was covered in blood from head to toe while filming the whale scene each day. He destroyed five pairs of underwear in the process. He's sending Kripke a bill.
- If you watched the trailer, there is a "candy colored" musical number in there involving Frenchie (Tomer Capone) and Kimiko (Karen Fukuhara). According to Kripke, "I’m a huge fan of classic Hollywood musicals. To me Singing in the Rain is so good and I’ve always wanted to do a huge blow the doors off musical number." He promises it will bring a huge smile to our faces!
- Jensen closed the panel by saying this, "I just wanted to thank this cast and writing team and Eric specifically. This is just such a fun fun show to be a part of and you guys couldn’t have been more welcoming as a cast and as a family truly. It was lockdown up there, nothing to do but be with each other and I was thrilled, coming out of that, how much fun I had, so thank you all."
(Courtesy of Lynn @Fangasm)
Afterward, there was a big Amazon Prime party and one very special guest was spotted outside! A local resident very close to Jensen. Yes, it was Jared. It's hard not to notice the six foot four guy in a crowd!
Jared hanging out with Jensen and The Boys cast tonight at sxsw! https://t.co/0s1pmINfKk— Fangasm (@FangasmSPN) March 13, 2022
It was also Supernatural day today at the Family Business Beer Company. Jensen brought out his Baby:
It was so good to see Baby again - keeping her gorgeous and shiny @JensenAckles! 😍 #SPNFamily pic.twitter.com/GPGwAYFiPg— Fangasm (@FangasmSPN) March 13, 2022
I'm sure there are a lot more pictures, Instagram stories, tweets and other shares out there that I missed. If you have a link, share them in the comments! All in all, it looks like it was a pretty exciting weekend for everyone involved.
As for The Boys, Season 3 episodes debut on June 3rd exclusively on Amazon Prime Video. New episodes will be available each Friday following, leading up to the season finale on July 8.