Special Delivery by Far Away Eyes
Moose (and Squirrel) Munch is a sophisticated popcorn for your Supernatural viewing pleasure! If you prefer something less expensive but as tasty, I recommend either Angie's Popcorn or the Minnesota owned Boom Chicka Pop. For something more show related, I like to get Peanut M&Ms to pay homage to "Wendigo" Dean or Haribo Gold Bears to honor Jared. If I expect the finale of any season to be particularly sad and tissue filled, I open a box of Lucky Charms as a call back to "Something Wicked" and Sam getting that prized last bowl despite Dean's protests.
When it looks like the biggest emotional roller coaster is about to be viewed, though, I most certainly go for my homemade from scratch Apple Pie. I make a double butter crust that is super simple but oh so flaky and sure to soak up all the tears a Supernatural fan will cry. The filling is sweet and spicy with the tenderest apples.
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 tablespoon sugar (optional if you want sweeter crust)
1/4 cup ice water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1) Sift flour into a medium bowl and cut in the butter with a pastry blender or use a food processor (I always do this by hand). Stir in the sugar if desired.
2) In small bowl, mix together the water and lemon juice and throw in ice cubes. Using a fork, stir liquid in increments into the flour, one teaspoon at a time until dough forms a ball. Do not over mix or over water as it will make a tough crust.
3) Flatten dough into 6 inch disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4) Repeat first three steps with fresh ingredients for a top crust.
1/4 cup apricot jam, melted
5 large apples (I prefer Golden Delicious in off season or Honeycrisp or SweeTango in season) peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4 inch slices
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (On spices, I use Penzey's Spices and no pie is ever the same as I mix and match some of their blends like Pie Spice, Apple Pie Spice, Baking Spice, and pure Cinnamon to taste)
1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons milk
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9 or 10 inch pie plate well.
2) Roll out one of the pastry crusts made earlier and fit into plate. Brush with melted jam and refrigerate.
3) Prepare the apples and place into large bowl with the lemon juice.
4) In small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and spices.
5) Layer half the apples into the chilled pie shell and sprinkle half of the spice sugar mixture over them. Repeat until all the apples are in the pie. Scatter the butter pieces over the top.
6) Roll out the top crust, place over the filling, trim and flute the edges. Cut 3 steam vents in the center. Brush with milk and sprinkle with the granulated sugar.
7) Bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. If edges brown too quickly cover with foil or pie shields. Cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.
What do you think about the treats? What sounds more to your liking and that you would like to try? Share your favorite recipes below!
Did we make you hungry for more Supernatural recipes? Visit WFB's Supernatural Marketplace for links to Misha's The Adventurous Eaters Club and the Official Supernatural Cookbook! Orders placed by clicking the Amazon links on the marketplace help support The WFB too!
Find more of Far Away Eyes' Homemade delights, plus Wednesday's Refreshments, in WFB's Supernatural Food and Beverage aisle!