Season Four Highlights/Lowlights and other stuff:
Just â€˜cause I felt like dabbling in the fun of this, I present you a quick, random, somewhat thought out at other times purely emotional response to season four.
In no way is this completely encompassing of the entire season (I think thatâ€™s three words to say the same thing â€“ you get the point, right?)
Worst Ruby sceneâ€¦
Lazarus Rising: in the motel room, other than hyping the fandom, being skimpily clad and given a completely silly name, Kristie, it made no senseâ€¦
How to improve it: clothe her, then have Sam call her Kristie and she respond, Katie â€¦that would have been funny.
Best Ruby sceneâ€¦
Lucifer Rising: Die Demon Die!!!!!!
Best use of the word doucheâ€¦.
Lazarus Rising: â€œI told you to take care of her, not douche her up.â€ Hah!!!!
Itâ€™s a Terrible Life: â€œThose douchenozzels the Winchestersâ€â€¦cool.
Best Castiel entranceâ€¦
Lazarus Rising: Granted all he does is walk in the door, but still he does it with style.
Death Takes a Holiday: It had been five episodes since heâ€™d been seen, when he appeared, I actually sighed thinkingâ€¦Iâ€™d missed you, Cas. Also, he looked so pleased with himself having captured Alastair.
These next groups I found too hard to pick a best/worst or a best/honorable mention so I just listed them (in the order they came to mind as I wrote this). Feel free to let me know your favorite from what Iâ€™ve included or by all means add to the listâ€¦or you can pass; itâ€™s your Hellatus too, pass the time as you choose. I know some of you just lurk, feel free to lurk away but it is safe here; Alice has a lockdown against any vampires or werewolves so you wonâ€™t get hurtâ€¦still no zombie alligators to worry about either.
Saddest Sam momentâ€¦
- Sam lying to the ghost kid in Death Takes A Holiday
- Drunk Sam vs. the Cross Road Demon in I Know What You Did Last Summer
- Sam as Pamela is dying and she revealsâ€¦I know what you did to that demon, Death Takes a Holiday
- Sam hallucinating Dean calling him a monster in When the Levee Breaks
- Sam hearing the fake phone message from Dean in Lucifer Rising [chokes up]
Best Dean reveals all seasonâ€¦
- Dean was yanked from hell by an angel
- Dean was in hell for 40 years
- Dean tortured people, and liked it
- Dean broke the first seal
- Dean has been rehymenated â€“ chuckle/snort
(Sorta honorable mentionâ€¦Dean gets his memories back from IMTOD, courtesy of Tessa)
Best Sam revealsâ€¦
- Sam had sex with a corpse possessed by a demon
- Sam drinks demon blood
- Sam can con tough guys at pool [hee]
- Sam was jealous of Adam and wanted to mold him into a fighter
- Sam likes emo music???? [really?]
(Sam breaking the final seal doesnâ€™t make it for me because I saw it coming after it was revealed that Dean broke the first one and I added to it the idea of literary symmetry from Monster at the End of This Book)
Best Castiel linesâ€¦
- You should show me some respect.
- Uriel is the funniest angel in the garrison, ask anyone.
- Weâ€™re making this up as we go.
Best bro momentsâ€¦
- Lazarus Risingâ€¦they hugged!!
- Wishing Wellâ€¦are we going to shoot this teddy bear?
- Heaven and Hellâ€¦Sam willing to kill angels to protect Dean
- Jump the Sharkâ€¦rock, paper, scissors [buyah!!!]
- On the Head of a Pinâ€¦bedside at the hospital and thenâ€¦â€œMiracle, NOW!â€
- Lucifer Risingâ€¦two hands fisted in jacketsâ€¦and Sam grabs Deanâ€™s a second timeâ€¦fade to â€¦white?
Grossest scenes of the seasonâ€¦
- Metamorphosisâ€¦Jack eating raw ground beef
- Metamorphosisâ€¦Jack after eating â€“ uh, Travis
- Itâ€™s the Great Pumpkin, Sam Winchesterâ€¦Impala egged â€“ wrong, wrong, wrong
- Family Remainsâ€¦girl eats rat
- After School Specialâ€¦kidâ€™s hand in blender..icky
- The Raptureâ€¦Sam drinks demon blood in middle of fight, his face is reminiscent of Jack from Metamorphosis
Best Bobby momentsâ€¦
- Lazarus Risingâ€¦gives Dean a face full of holy water after everything else failed
- Are You There, God; Itâ€™s Me, Dean Winchesterâ€¦â€œBobby, you are awesome!â€ a panic room and massive weaponry
- Sex and Violenceâ€¦phones, phones and more phones
- When the Levee Breaksâ€¦â€œSuck dirt and die, Rufus!â€ [tee]
- When the Levee Breaksâ€¦â€œWe are trying to help you, boy.â€ [tears]
- Lucifer Risingâ€¦â€œDo us all a favor, donâ€™t be him.â€ [wow]
- [extra creditâ€¦who called Dean â€˜princessâ€™ first and in what episode? â€“ we have prizesâ€¦*right, Alice, we have prizes here somewhere, donâ€™t we?*
Best guest actorsâ€¦ soooo many to choose from so I just started writing.
- Lazarus Risingâ€¦Tracie Dinwiddie (also in Heaven and Hell and DTAH)
- In the Beginningâ€¦Amy Gumenick â€“ very believable younger Mary Winchester
- In the Beginningâ€¦Mitch Pileggi â€“ just inspired
- Itâ€™s the Great Pumpkin, Sam Winchesterâ€¦Robert Wisdom (also in IKWYDLS, HAH, OTHOAP)
- I Know What You Did Last Summerâ€¦Mark Rolston (also in IKWYDLS)
- Death Takes a Holidayâ€¦Christopher Heyerdahl (also in OTHOAP and WTLB)
- Criss Angel is a Douche Bagâ€¦Barry Bostwick
- Criss Angel is a Douche Bagâ€¦John Rubenstein
- Criss Angel is a Douche Bagâ€¦Richard Libertini
- Itâ€™s a Terrible Lifeâ€¦Kurt Fuller (also in MATEOTB and Lucifer Rising)
Lest you think Iâ€™m not a Ted Raimi fan, I so am. But, similar to the excellent Billy Drago who was lost behind his makeup (at least thatâ€™s my first and second opinion on that episode, shame too as Billy Drago is superb) I found Ted Raimiâ€™s character lost in the premise. Audrey was so cute and not over the top, the teddy bear was hysterical and Deanâ€™s tragic memories rising to the fore simply took too much away from Ted Raimiâ€™s underdeveloped and underutilized character.
Itâ€™s really a shame for Ted Raimi is superb, while his character is forgettable, he is not; having him come on the show illuminates how much of a character-driven show this is. Look at the above list, many greats come here; they know a good thing.
Most jaw-dropping, whoa I did not see that coming moments of the seasonâ€¦that were really, really, really cool (and sometimes gross):
- Lazarus Risingâ€¦â€œIâ€™m an angel of the Lordâ€¦we have work for you.â€
- In the Beginningâ€¦Mary was a hunter, so cool.
- Yellow Feverâ€¦Dean was in hell for forty years
- I Know What You Did Last Summerâ€¦Sam slept with corpso-Ruby (yeah, that one is gross)
- Wishful Thinkingâ€¦six-foot tall teddy bears DO work in the Supernatural series
- On the Head of a Pinâ€¦Dean broke the first seal
- On the Head of a Pinâ€¦Sam drinks demon blood
- Jump the Sharkâ€¦John had another child, raised him normally â€“ sorta â€“ [and the storyline worked really well]
- Monster at the End of This Bookâ€¦â€œI am the prophet, Chuck!â€
- Lucifer Risingâ€¦Sam broke the final sealâ€¦now both brothers share the blame equally for the apocalypseâ€¦way cool.
- Lazarus Risingâ€¦Deanâ€™s hand coming through the earth
- Lazarus Risingâ€¦Castielâ€™s wings are revealed
- On the Head of a Pinâ€¦dead angelâ€™s wings are backlit on the pavement from above
- On the Head of a Pinâ€¦Samâ€™s eyes grow blacker and blacker with each pass of the wiper blades
- Jump The Sharkâ€¦bullet hole looking back at Sam and Adam
Best episode without the Impala in it: [Everyone, this is where you MUST make your opinions heard â€“ even in our little corner of the Supernatural fandom]. I will list the four choices (yes, there are four choices for Season 4) and we really, really, really need you to voice your opinion in the comment section. Even if you just lurk, even if you want to remain anonymous, click and reply â€“ call yourself anonymous, itâ€™s okay [everyone has done it] but make your opinion known.
Here are the choices:
- Criss Angel is a Douche Bag
- Itâ€™s A Terrible Life
- Lucifer Rising
- None, no Impala in an episode of Supernatural is just wrong, and we wonâ€™t stand for it, Mr. Kripke!
Scariest Rumors for Season Four:
- Jensen is not coming back because Chad Michael Murray is taking over
- Ruby is a love interest for Sam
- Ghost bees [too funny]
- A third Winchester brother is to be introduced
- Bobby might die
So thatâ€™s it in a nutshell, actually a quick hour spent at the computer. Season four highlights, lowlights, best, worst, honorable mentions, thereâ€™s-just-too-many-to-choose-from-so-Iâ€™ll-just-list-them-and-let-you-read and others for Season four.
Let me know your best and worst, faves and anything else you like. And donâ€™t forgetâ€¦let your voice be heard, the Impala needs us!
Until I get something else doneâ€¦thanks for reading.
"You should have seen Luke."
As for the Impala, Supernatural with no Metallicar is as wrong as Supernatural without the Winchesters...i t must not be allowed!!
A couple more things I loved this season:
-like Deborah said, I thought the "You should have seen Luke" line was hilarious
-in Lazarus Rising, the shot of Dean from behind the harp. Seeing Dean through the harp strings reminded me of jail bars and reinforced the fact that Dean was a prisoner in there
-the ending of JTS. I was already in sadist's heaven watching Sam being bled half to death. And then there was the way Dean killed the Adam-ghoul...de spite the boys drifting apart this season, Dean still won't let anyone get away lightly with messing with his Sammy!!
Next, option #4 - no Impala is like one of the boys missing!
Season 4 had an unexpected emotional twist for me. See, my mom's name is Anna and although she died a number of years ago - having Cas and Uriel come in at the end of IKWYDLS and say Anna must die - I burst into tears.
And, not to say there wasn't emotional scenes for me from other seasons, but bursting into tears is not something I do, and I did it twice this season. The other one was right at the point in WTLB when Dean called Sam a monster for real. Ripped my heart out more than any other scene.
And to wrap up this short missive - one of my very favourite lines from this season "What, don't you recognize me? Oh, I forgot, I'm wearing a pediatrician."
I'm with you guys, You should have seen Luke ... Top Casism ... Also the Hands Off glare at Chuck in the finale.
Scaryiest rumour definitely Death-Of-Bobby as everything he touches turns to gold and so best Bobby moment is pretty much all of them ... Don't make me choose!
Saddest Sam Bit ... Fake voicemail - heartbreak now!
Best Bro Mo's got to be the mutual panic clutch at the end of Lucifer Rising, the end of the world's here and all they can really rely on is each other ... Gulp ...
Don't completely write off the Zombie Alligators, stranger things have happened! Not many, granted, but we thrive on hope ( and toast ... )
Great comments from all of you.
Deborah, I totally forgot about that line from Monster...great additions.
Narcissus, those shots from the 'green' room in Luc. Rising were awesome and you are right, those harp shots remined me of prison bars...great for including them, thank you.
You are also spot on with your thoughts on the brothers, despite their differences and drifts, throughout the season both brothers showed they did not take kindly to threats to the other...evil be warned.
Tigershire, YOU WIN!!!! Now, as soon as we find those zombie alligators we'll get that prize to you -- see, we have the zombie alligators guarding the prizes.
As for your mom and the name Anna -- major gulp! Wow, that would be so hard to be hit with that out of the blue...grief is like that (and while I've had some in my life, nothing as traumatic as the loss of someone so close to me, yet) and sometimes out of the blue it slams you...I'm so sorry, thank you for sharing here.
That scene in Luc. Rising when Sam heard the phone call where Dean called him a bloodsucking monster...that blew me away as it drew upon Sam's hallucination from WTLB and just added to the pain...talk about piling it on.
You are so right, ...don't you recognize me? That was a delicious Alastair performance...a nd then he slugs him!
Suze, Lucifer Rising does totally rock, it may not have had the emotional angst or dangle or torture of NRFTW but it opens up new possibilites for the future, how do they rebuild, what now Cas and Chuck, how do they get out of that convent ruin and more (like why Sam was "THE CHOSEN ONE" and how exactly does Dean stop Lucifer. I for one was actually relieved (I don't think I could handle another hiatus like last season's) and I'm still totally psyched for the season premiere...whic h is any day now, right (Yeah, I know they aren't even back filming yet but a girl's gotta cling to hope)
I would say the Bobby is dying rumor had me the most worried...whew, thank heavens (and Kripke) that was all blown out of proportion. Great summation of the bro-clutch at the end of the season...all they can rely on is each other (oh, yeah and Bobby who is probably freaking out at Dean's sudden disappearance)
I'll hang onto hope for those Zombie Alligators...di d just watch Playthings last night so soaking wet Sam was cool (and drunk Sam even more cool -- hee)
Great comments all. Thanks for adding to the fun.
One of my favorite guest stars was Jake Abel (Adam in Jump the Shark) I thought he did a great job. I also completely agree with the three magicians from Criss Angel. That was one of the few episodes where I didn't mind so much emphesis on the guest stars because they were so darn good.
You are so right...Jake Abel was excellent as Adam Milligan...that shot of the real Adam dead, evicerated and clearly terrified at the moment of death is just heartbreaking.
Like you, the three magicians were so well cast and together in their camaradrerie that I too did not mind the extra focus given to them (and I'm sure it gave Jared and Jensen a little break, maybe half a day, that had to have helped.
I thought about doing top ten tear jerking moments, but When the Levee Breaks and both parts of All Hell Breaks Loose would take up a good chunk of that list.
Itâ€™s really a shame for Sam Raimi is superb, while his character is forgettable, he is not; having him come on the show illuminates how much of a character-drive n show this is. Look at the above list, many greats come here; they know a good thing."
It was TED Raimi, not SAM.
Thank you for catching that terrible blunder on my part.
That's what happens when you assume (and then don't check your facts) Thank you.
You know how in Lawrence of Arabia the desert is basically the female lead? Well, I'm convinced that the Metallicar is the female lead in Spn.
LOL!!! That's awesome and so correct, the Metallicar is the female lead...finally we know why Jo and Bela and Ruby and anyone else just never caught on with the fandom, they take away from the one and only 'girl' of our [yeah, they're our] boys...Metallicar!
I truly believe with a bit of creativity the Impala could have made it into It's a Terrible Life...parked on the sidewalk in a shot...a picture of her on a maginze cover that someone hands Dean (Smith)...somet hing?
Holy crap! That would have been so great for them to have included the Metallicar in It's a Terrible Life like that!
That's such a great idea... do you think they did include her and we just missed it? Okay. You've convinced me to go back and rewatch it (not that I needed much convincing)
*runs off with Mae to rewatch*
The scariest Rumor:Bobby might Die. It was so scary because it made logical sense and because Jim Beaver himself was having fun teasing the fans
I agree, the whole Dean drives a Prius was pretty good. When I first heard that several weeks prior to this episode (it was many weeks prior actually) I assumed it was for something during the After School Special, something with Dean being a driver's ed instructor and thought there might be some joke about how well the car handles or somehting since Jensen has commented before that the Impala handles like a shopping cart.
Jim Beaver is pretty good at stringing folks along in the knots they've tied themselves into. Someone commented on another site that Jim had even teased fans about having to belt one of the guys in the mouth over and over again in a scene...then the scene comes and he does -- stuff his belt in Jared/Sam's mouth...too funny.
Impala handles like a shopping cart? Oh my, YES! I actually owned a 1968 Impala (a dreadful aqua color) in high school. I've often said she handled like a boat. Metalicar now, she's a beauty! My poor little beast, not so much. But we could fit, oh, eight people in her, seven if the driver needed space to move. Plenty of space in that car.
I don't pay much attention to the 'Jensen's being replaced but CMM' rumours as they're just implausible but I have to admit to quite a few nerves about Bobby, because it was only too likely - think of all the people they've killed off.....
Baby needs to be in all episodes....all ! I had never thought about it like that but yes baby is like the girl in their lives, constant, faithful and lets face it sex on wheels!
oh just a quick thought how about another catagory? Best lines (from anyone) i have a few personal favourites: â€œThereâ€™s something in my throat, I think it is my throatâ€ Alistair OTHOAP, Dean same episode - "Iâ€™m not all here, Iâ€™m not strong enough. I guess Iâ€™m not the man either of our dads wanted me to be. Find someone else. Itâ€™s not me.â€ actually that episode has some amazing lines but then all Ben Edlund episodes do. Also a large chunk of TMATEOTB had me cracking up "well I can't see you face but those are definately your brooding and pensive shoulders".
And, in the same vein, to the Best Sam Reveals list I would humbly add the scene between Sam and Chuck in Monster at the End of This Book when Sam reveals how much drinking the demon blood scares him. There was such a huge size difference between the two actors and yet JP seem to shrink as Sam slid into that chair and began to talk about his fears.
I'm not sure whether this should get a nod among 'Best Lines' or 'Best Delivery' but when the brothers first meet Adam in Jump the Shark and tell him John died on the job, Adam looks puzzled, says, "He was a mechanic, right?" Dean tersely replies, "A car fell on him." On paper that doesn't read the least bit funny but JA's timing and delivery crack me up every time.
As for the Impala, she should definitely be in every show. She will always be the only female lead whom Dean can call 'Baby,' and 'Sweetheart' and still have the unwavering support of all fans.
Loving all the -- erh, love, for the Impala (baby, girl, Metallicar) yep, we're in agreement, every episode she's a must, MUST!
I very much enjoyed Rob Benedict as Chuck, I too was very glad to see him. Something about the whole normal yet somehow involved and totally weirded out persona added to the mix that just works for me.
Ben Edlund eps do have great lines and Alastair sure had quite a few of them... "Heaven, I'm in heaven..."
I did like the scene between Sam and Chuck, Chuck knew all about it and didn't dismiss Sam or belittle him but simply confronted it. Sam's denial the moment Chuck got to the point of perhaps Sam liked the control...Jared handled it beautifully. It was also perfect that Sam sat and Chuck stood (sure it helped the framing) but for the characters at that moment, it adds to the story.