Editor's Note: Supernatural conventions are very special weekend events when fans can meet and mingle with each other and the cast of Supernatural. Bettina attended her first Supernatural convention in June. She is very excited to share with you her account of the fun, accompanied by her wonderful pictures! - Nightsky
I attended PurCon 4 in Düsseldorf, Germany the weekend of June 2–3. What is PurCon? Tell me more!
PurCon is an unofficial Supernatural convention. It's called Purgatory, and it hosts approximately 1,200 fans. The first PurCon was back in 2015. I‘ve always wanted to go, and this year I made it! So let me tell you more about my weekend at PurCon 4!
The Guest List:
Mark Sheppard (only Saturday)
(the date on the brochure was wrong)
I don’t have to tell you that I was nervous; it was my first convention! I’ve been a fan since 2005, but this was my first convention.
I stayed at the Hilton—the hotel where the convention was. We arrived there on Friday at 2 p.m. After the check-in, it was time to check out the rest of the hotel and the shop. At 4 p.m. the registration lines were longer than the waiting line in hell. But, when it was finally your turn, there was no Crowley or Luci there and you didn’t have to make a deal! You just got your lanyard with your entry ticket and the tickets for your photo ops and autographs. I had a normal ticket for the weekend (there were also VIP, gold, and silver tickets for one day available).
Now it was official, I was at PurCon 4! I also bought a ticket for the concert with Gil, and the ticket for karaoke on Saturday evening. And, of course, I got something from the shop—two necklaces. Why save money, right?
Gil’s concert started on Friday at 8:45 p.m. To be honest, when I bought my ticket I thought, let’s give it a try and see if you like his music. You know, my music taste is more like Dean’s. But when he started to sing, I fell in love with his voice.
My favorite song was “How Was I to Know.” He was on stage with the pianist, Aaron Beaumont, and his guest singer, Amanda Wallace.
After the concert, you could buy his album, “How Was I to Know,” and/or buy a shirt and you could talk to him, Aaron, and Amanda. I wanted to buy something and ask him for a hug. But when it was my turn, there were no more shirts in my size. Guess what I did? I bought one a size bigger and told him that I will try to shrink it in the dryer. We both laughed and I got my hug. He’s one of the sweetest people.
After all that, it was time to head to the bar, and guess who was sitting there? The Prince of Purgatory Ty Olsson, and the one and only DJ Qualls. And yes, I said “Hello” and maybe something else to them. They are like us—normal people who just want a drink at the bar after a long day. It was nice to see them enjoying the evening.
Saturday started with espresso and breakfast. There were not many places left, so we sat down next to two other SPN fans and talked for a little bit. You have to know that I’m more like Dean in the morning: first my coffee/espresso and later we can talk. So it was a wonder that I talked so much that morning.
The opening ceremony started at 9:30 a.m. and lasted 20 minutes. The Master of Ceremony for this convention was Gil. I really want to share the video introduction with you; the song is now stuck in my head—I think possibly forever. To my suprise, Felicia started to talk in German.
12:00–12:50 p.m. was the first panel with Ty and DJ. They are so funny together.
12:55–1:45 p.m. the second panel started with Gil, Felicia, and Mark Pellegrino. Felicia was Mark‘s “Con Wife” for the weekend. When he gave short answers, she asked him to give a longer answer.
Between this panel and the next panel I made it to the photo ops with DJ Qualls and Ty Olsson.
1:55–2:45 p.m. was the panel with our one and only King of Hell, Mark Sheppard. He answered the questions in “Mark Style” and walked around the room. Why stay on stage, right?
3:00–4:00 p.m. was the raffle with DJ and Ty—you could win some photo ops and autographs.
After the raffle, it was time for my photo op with Felicia. She was super sweet, but I was nervous and babbled like a 5-year-old girl. It felt so good to hug her.
Because of my photo op with Felicia, I missed the panel with Alaina and Julian, but I knew that I would see them the following day at another panel.
We had a break from 5:00-6:00 pm. In that time I meet my LTTUSquad. We always wrote, tweeted and chatted on Twitter and now it was our time to finally meet each other.
At 6:00 p.m. the autograph session started. I only had one autograph, and it was one from Mark Pellegrino. He made my day with only one sentence, “Awww, sweet. I remember it.” Let me explain. Some months ago, I dressed my dog as the Devil, posted it, and he liked it. Now I have an autograph from him on that pic.
After the autograph session it was time to eat something, drink, and relax to find new energy for later. I’m not an angel; I need a little bit of everything!
At 9:45 p.m. it was time for some karaoke action.
Some of my highlights were “Carry On Wayward Son,” from the PURCON staff, “Time of My Life,” by Crowley and Castiel cosplayers, “Sweet Transvestite,” by Mark Pellegrino and some fans, and “Another Brick in the Wall,” by Gil and Ty.
Stars and fans sang together on stage, and later it was only the fans. Man, I remember “Numb” and “Zombie. ” I know the lyrics by heart and many other songs too.
Toward the end of the evening, we get some drinks at the bar and stayed until 3 a.m. Who needs sleep, right? Some of the stars enjoyed some drinks there too.
On Sunday morning I needed a latte macchiato with double espresso and a lot of bacon and eggs.
10:00–10:50 a.m.: Time to start the day with Julian & Ty at the first panel.
11:20–12:10 p.m.: Time for the next panel with Mark Pellegrino and Alex Barima.
12:10–1:10 p.m.: Panel with Alaina and Felicia.
2:15–3:00 p.m.: Panel with Gil and DJ.
There also was a charity auction, but I missed it because of my photo op with Mark P.
The autograph session at 4:15–6:15 p.m. started a little bit later than planned so the closing ceremony was a little delayed also; it had been scheduled for 6:45–7:15 p.m.
You also could do the following things.
- Group photo ops: singles from all guests, and doubles with Alaina and Gil, Felicia and DJ, Alex and Mark P., Mark S. and Mark P., and Mark S. and Alaina. On Sunday, Juilian Richings was dressed as Death for the photo ops.
- Meet and Greets with each of the guests
- A dinner with Ty and Julian
- A cocktail party
I only made some notes on Sunday, and not from every panel, but I would love to share the ones that I made.
- Mark P. and Alex were served coffee by Gil. What a service.
- If they could be in a game, Mark P. would be in Mario Brothers and Alex would be in Assassin’s Creed.
- Alex's favorite game is Bioware’s Mass Effect 1.
- According to Alex, if Drexel had a song, it would be “Roar” by Katy Perry.
- According to Mark P., if Lucifer had a song, it would be “Time in a Bottle.”
- When Mark P. was little, he walked in his mom’s shoes.
- Ty and DJ talked about their upcoming comic hero project.
- Have you always wanted to know the full name of Lucifer’s Vessel? Mark P. revealed the secret. It’s Nick Ubrimowitz.
- If they would get a Supernatural-related tattoo, DJ would get Mr. Fizzles and Gil would get Baby because he got a black ’62 Chevy Impala with a red interior for his sixteenth birthday.
- Mark P. did not finish some video games, like Resident Evil 7 and The Evil Within, because they are too evil.
- If Felicia could invent a new female bad-ass character, it would be a vampire.
- Felicia talked about the diffferences between Charlie and AU Charlie.
- Alaina talked about being a tourist and going to the Netherlands after the convention.
- “No Starbucks, no Internet”: the personal apocalypse for Felicia and Alaina.
- When asked if she likes the same stuff as Charlie, Felicia’s answer was “YES.”
- “I‘ve played other geek roles before, but none was authentic and real like Charlie.” —Felicia
- “Lucifer never got a break.” —Mark P.
- If Alex could give you any advice about acting it would be “Prepare and be willing to learn.”When asked, “What do famous people have in common?” Mark P. said, “They treat their acting craft like a job.”
- “Teachers can kill you or open up your space.” —Mark P.
- Mark P. teaches acting.
- I loved to listen to Julian’s elevator story. It involved him, another person in the elevator, and people who flinch when the door opens on each floor.
- At the end of his panel, Mark Sheppard listed to a "Long Live the King" salute.
Stay tuned for Part 2 of my PurCon report! It includes fan cosplayers, Baby!, convention highlights, the closing ceremony, a special program for fans at PurCon and fan reactions!